Saturday, March 13, 2010

Tomato Plants a-poppin'!

They're starting to poke through the soil. I have both flats under a 4 ft fluorescent light out on the porch. Actually, I just let them go on their own from last Sunday till Friday, at which time I added the light over top. I would love to experiment with doing some time lapse pictures of them as they sprout and grow. Maybe I can talk my wife into letting me use her old laptop and I can probably scare up an old webcam (Good idea Diggs)...

So I also helped 'The Neighbor' build another Salad Box. This one was made of 2x4 and some screen. It's roughly 16" x 32" and is put together with 8 screws. Important to note that pre-drilling is a good idea and makes your life easier in the long run. With someone with some knowledge on using a saw and a drill it should take mere minutes to get together and ready for dirt. A metal screen is stapled onto the frame after it's screwed together, making sure to double-up/fold the screen over where you staple it on the sides for extra strength. 'The Neighbor' always uses another layer of 'ratwire' that just increases the strength and makes sure that the screen won't fall through after the dirt is added.

Video shows short clips of the assembly, screening and two salad boxes made from old lumber found in one the many sheds on the compound. Shows that it doesn't take much to grow fresh veggies like lettuce, spinach and herbs inside using some partial sun coming from a window and artificial fluorescent lighting. The lettuce is probably going on 3-4 weeks and the spinach 2 1/2 weeks. There is also some parsley in there as well.

note2uppl: Yes that is a Gen-U-ine miniature ball-peen hammer!

2 comments:

  1. These videos are so fun, Mr. Christopher!
    I especially love the very talented jazz combo you've employed to play in the background.

    Maybe some day I'll talk Cat into letting me make some veggie boxes for our backyard.

    Please say hello to your lovely assistant for me. (Unless that was Tom, and then I'm a little concerned.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! I want to dance to the music. Reminds me of my childhood:)

    It is always a good thing to make your "neighbors" happy!

    ReplyDelete

Followers