Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Varieties and More...

Well, I've run into a bit of a speed bump as I can't find the usb connector that allows me to upload pictures I've taken of the garden to the computer. Never fear, as a trip to Staples or Best Buy should remedy that.

As I stated in the previous post I've planted 79 tomato plants including 16 different varieties. (I know I said I had 17... I must have miscounted, or just exaggerated to make my garden sound better ha!)

Tomatoes I started from seed myself:
  1. Big Boy
  2. Beefsteak
  3. Paul Robeson
  4. Green Zebra
  5. Copia
  6. Gold Medal
  7. Sweet 100 (cherry tomato)
  8. Early Girl
Tomatoes I bought at various Amish stands around the county include:
  1. Better Boy
  2. Pineapple
  3. Mountain Fresh
  4. Lemon Boy
  5. Golden Jubilee
  6. Yellow Pear (cherry tomato)
  7. Hillbilly
  8. Brandywine
I'd have to say that my two favorites have been the Paul Robeson and Lemon Boy.
The Paul Robeson is an Heirloom tomato that's got a distinct purple/blackish color and has a very sweet smokey flavor. The Lemon Boy is a sturdy nice sized yellow tomato which is a good producer and has a lower acidity than some of the red tomatoes.

Here's a picture of the prettiest tomato. I'm not a huge fan but the Green Zebra tomato wins best of show when it comes to looks.








And Paul Robeson here.. These pictures were taken from the net as I don't know that I have any of them from last years garden.








I look forward to the red and yellow stripe varieties as well which are Copia, Gold Medal, Pineapple, and Hillbilly. My Copia and Gold medal didn't do that well last year but I did let that part of the garden get taken over by Dill, which choked and shaded out both of those varieties so I'm hoping that was the problem.

It's been raining cats and dogs every few days with huge downpours from thunderstorms. Normally I don't like to see them but my tomatoes are going to get some great growth from all that deep penetrating water so bring them on!

I'm going to save some info for later but I'm thinking I should post some more pictures of my garden last year... at least until I can get my butt over to Staples for that usb cord.
Hope everyone is well.































Also a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY SISTER SJ WHO TURNS 31 IN 6 DAYS. Have a good one maggot! Wish I could be there to celebrate!

2 comments:

  1. Great varieties! I remember Papa was fond of Big Boy, Better Boy, and Early Girl too. I've never heard of a tomato that had a smokey taste...learn something new everyday. Is that your garden guard dog?

    Happy Early Birthday SJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christopher! Did you have to tell everyone how old I am? Ha, just kidding... Cam and I celebrated last night as I will be working on my B-Day but had a great time. Miss you!!!xxx

    ReplyDelete

Followers