Monday, June 29, 2009

C'mon and Ripen Already!

One of these days I'll remember to force the camera into not posting the date and time on the pictures...

Anyways, I thought I'd take some shots of the garden to show what a couple weeks can do for you. The garden has changed quite a bit. The dreaded watermelon zucchini cross in the compost has gone from 'scary tendrils' to 'it's taking over'. Great looking 'watchamacalits' growing from it. Some are dark green, some are near black. Some are all yellow, some are a little bit of everything. Here's some pics!




Don't know what to say about that. They taste fine. I've been meaning to slice some up and grill them but always forget.

The cucumbers and I have been fighting a fierce battle. They keep trying to climb up on my tomatoes and I keep pulling them off onto the ground. Neither of us is winning. There is a winner though... The dog.
She loves cucumbers and while I was tying up the tomatoes on Sunday morning I heard her crunching and munching on them. She just goes out and picks her own. You can see where she's been wading through them in search of something big enough to snack on. I wondered why she always has 'dirt nose'. Now I'm positive that's why I have only got one cucumber so far this year.

The tomatoes are doing fine. Just not ripening up fast enough for me. We'll see what the next few weeks brings. Here are a couple pictures including one of a Brandywine Tomato plant with a 6 ft Hoe next to it to help gauge size.
I'm still crossing my fingers for the middle of July!



8 comments:

  1. Love the play by play commentary, Christopher. It's epic in scale and a "page turner"...especially the description of the "battles"! And you'd better save some seeds from your mutant crossovers...they're hilarious!
    -Uncle Warren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but what will 'they' mutate into next? Only time will tell. Which vegetable will crosspollinate with it THIS season?!
    Tune in next year as the Mutant ZuchMelon gets a bit of Cucumber in it's family tree!

    dun duhhhhnnn dahhhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know if your cucumbers are burpless. Should I ask you or the dog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dog... she waits until their pickle size, then she strikes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to know if the dog is burpless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone in my family have a life????
    Burpless cukedog....really!!!
    Alias Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to know why my family constantly 'wants to know'?

    I need to move far away and close the blog down. This can't be good for my tomatoes. I'm glad they don't have internet access...

    ReplyDelete

Followers